The State of Utah requires drivers to pass the following tests:
The Written Knowledge Test
• The written knowledge test consists of multiple-choice questions about Utah road signs and traffic laws. You must correctly answer 20 out of 25 questions in order to pass the test.
The Vision Test
• You must be able to pass the vision test with a visual acuity of 20/40 in the better without correction for a license without restrictions. The visual field standard is 140 degrees with both eyes open during the test. If you have a corrected visual acuity of 20/50 to 20/70 in the better eye, you will be issued a license with restrictions for corrective lenses, daytime only or driving at a maximum speed of 45 miles per hour .
The Driving Skills Road Test
• You will be judged on the use of proper driving techniques. The examiner will be grading you on some of the following:
1. Driving posture
2. Proper use of lanes
3. Left and right turns
4. Starting and stopping
5. Parking on hills and between cars
6. Observance of traffic signs and signals
7. Backing up
9. Steering coordination
10. Attention at intersections
You can take the driving skills road test with the Driver License Division or through a Certified Commercial School Third-Party Tester.